Adjunct Instructor - Mathematics
Holy Cross College has an opening for an Adjunct Instructor of Mathematics.
Holy Cross College’s Mission: The Mission of Holy Cross College is to educate and form global citizens with the competence to see and the courage to act. Holy Cross is a Catholic college that advances the apostolic mission of the Brothers of Holy Cross. Our practical, experiential, liberal arts curriculum applies timeless truths to contemporary life and leads people to wholeness in the image of Christ.
Our hiring practices reflect this missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Purpose: Teach one section of MATH 141 (4 credit hours) Elements of Calculus I, over a period of the Spring 2021 semester. Elements of Calculus I is Calculus I for the Life and Social Sciences, which is the first half of a two semester sequence designed to prepare students seeking a major and career in life and social sciences. The course introduces the mathematics needed to study change in a quantity. Topics include functions, limits, continuity, application of rates of change of functions to problems in the life and social sciences, integrals, graphing and their application. The course ends with a study of the antiderivative, Riemann sums, techniques of integration, the definite integral, the area between two curves, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and U-Substitution.
The class meets Monday and Wednesday 12:30 pm – 1:45 pm and Friday from 12:30 pm to 1:20 pm.
Course prerequisites: C or better in MATH 125 Pre-Calculus, or successful completion of high school pre-calculus or calculus.
Essential Job Duties:
- All administrators, faculty and staff are called to assist students in their formation to be Christ-like students and thus must embrace and advance the Holy Cross mission of the College in all professional activities.
- Teach one section of MATH 141 for the spring 2021 semester.
- Conduct office hours on campus (about one hour per week for every two credits being taught).
- Meet regularly with the department chair.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the faculty and employee handbook.
- Complete additional specific projects to be determined by the department chair.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the department and college.
Minimum Education, Skills and Ability:
- Master's Degree in the appropriate subject area required.
- Previous teaching at the college level preferred.
- Positive work experience in a Catholic college environment preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a connection to the Holy Cross College mission to educate the whole person in mind, body and spirit.