Holy Cross College has openings for Adjunct Instructors of Chemistry.
Holy Cross College’s Mission: The Mission of Holy Cross College is to educate and form global citizens with the competence to see and the courage to act. Holy Cross is a Catholic college that advances the apostolic mission of the Brothers of Holy Cross. Our practical, experiential, liberal arts curriculum applies timeless truths to contemporary life and leads people to wholeness in the image of Christ.
Our hiring practices reflect this missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Purpose: Ideally, candidates will teach one lecture and two lab sections of a sequential Organic Chemistry course in the fall of 2021 and spring 2022. However, candidates will be considered if they only desire to teach the two lab sections for the academic year 2021 – 2022.
CHEM 211: Organic Chemistry I: CHEM 211 is the first part of a two-semester Organic Chemistry course. It is intended for students who are majoring in a science-related discipline. As such, it gives a general overview of organic compounds and their structures and properties. These topics include nomenclatures, chemical bonds, physical and chemical properties, structure-property relationship, stereochemistry, and reaction mechanism of hydrocarbons, alkyl halide, alcohols, and spectroscopy.
CHEM 212: Organic Chemistry II: CHEM 212 is the second part of a two-semester Organic Chemistry course. It is intended for students who are majoring in a science-related discipline. As such, it gives a general overview of organic compounds and their structures and properties. These topics include spectroscopy, conjugated system, aromatic compounds, aldehyde, ketone, carboxylic acids and derivatives, enols, amines.
Essential Job Duties:
- All administrators, faculty and staff are called to assist students in their formation to be Christ-like students and thus must embrace and advance the Holy Cross mission of the College in all professional activities.
- Teach one section of CHEM 211 with two lab sections in the Fall 2021 semester, and one section of CHEM 212 with two lab sections in the Spring 2022 semester,
- Conduct office hours on campus (about one hour per week for every two credits being taught).
- Meet regularly with the department chair.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the faculty and employee handbook.
- Complete additional specific projects to be determined by the department chair.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned to meet the needs of the department and College.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Ability:
- Masters Degree in the appropriate subject area required, PhD preferred.
- Previous teaching at the college level preferred.
- Positive work experience in a Catholic college environment preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a connection to the Holy Cross College mission to educate the whole person in mind, body and spirit.