City of Joplin applications are being accepted for Equipment Operator.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Attendance and dependability.
• Operates light and medium construction/maintenance equipment such as oil distributer, boom truck, street sweeper, steel wheeled roller, dump truck, tractor mower, backhoe, sewer rodder, and light grader.
• Performs operator repairs on equipment and reports the need for major repairs to supervisor; checks and maintains fluid levels, and refuels equipment as necessary.
• Drives equipment to and from the work site.
• Operates a variety of heavy power tools and equipment such as jackhammer, chainsaw, riding lawnmower, tamping machine, air compressor, and power sprayer.
• Performs operator maintenance as needed.
• Equipment and tools are used to maintain streets and alleys, open and close grave sites, and maintain sewer system.
• May perform a variety of manual labor tasks as needed for the efficient, effective completion of assigned projects
GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
LANGUAGE ABILITY AND INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
• Skill in understanding and following oral and written instructions.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other City employees and the public.
• Knowledge of principles, practices, methods and materials used in construction, maintenance, and/or sewer cleaning work.
JUDGMENT AND SITUATIONAL REASONING ABILITY
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for operating light and medium construction/maintenance equipment.
• Skill in operating and maintaining a variety of light and medium maintenance and/or construction equipment.
• Skill in operating and maintaining assigned heavy power tools and equipment.
• Requires high levels of standing, bending, twisting, squatting, and carrying; medium to heavy lifting may be required for specific positions.
• Manual dexterity to such a degree as to allow proper assembly, maintenance, and operation of job related equipment such as specialized maintenance tools, snow plow equipment, or specialized vehicles.
• Must be sighted, hearing, and mobile to such a degree as to not compromise safety rules or the safety of self/others while working.
• Knowledge of relevant traffic laws and regulations.
• Graduation from high school or G.E.D. equivalent and experience equivalent to two years full time light or medium construction/maintenance equipment operation.
• Must possess a valid Missouri CDL at the level required for the equipment operated.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to successfully complete a thorough background check, and successfully complete a physical exam and drug test.